Would you like to find out more about what’s happening in Madrid in the coming days, weeks, months, or years? We have written about lots of ongoing and upcoming Madrid events in our Madrid calendar, so look below to find information about events that might be of interest to you.
We are unfortunately not able to write about every single concert, exhibition, and event in Madrid, but we try to select the most important and write about them. If you have information about an event that we should write about, use the comment field at the bottom of the article to give us information about it.
What’s happening in Madrid?
General information about what’s going on in Madrid.
Madrid is a dynamic metropolis that pulsates with an energetic cultural scene throughout the year. With a rich blend of history, art, and contemporary influences, the city hosts a wide array of events, exhibitions, and festivals that cater to every taste and interest.
Cultural Galore: Events and Exhibitions
1. Museums and Galleries: Madrid is renowned for its world-class museums, including the Prado Museum, Reina Sofía Museum, and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum. These cultural institutions consistently host captivating exhibitions, showcasing works by renowned artists such as Picasso, Velázquez, Goya, and many more.
2. Art Fairs and Exhibitions: The city is a hub for art lovers, hosting art fairs like ARCOmadrid, where contemporary and modern art takes center stage. Galleries across the city often host special exhibitions, offering a diverse range of artistic expressions to explore.
3. Cultural Events: Throughout the year, Madrid bursts with cultural events such as film festivals, music concerts, theater performances, and flamenco shows. The city’s theaters, concert halls, and cultural centers are always buzzing with activity, ensuring there’s something for everyone.
Festivals: Celebrating Madrid’s Spirit
1. San Isidro Festival: This festival, celebrating Madrid’s patron saint, takes place in May and features bullfights, music, dance, and other traditional activities. It’s a vibrant and lively celebration that encapsulates the city’s culture and heritage.
2. Madrid Pride: One of the largest LGBTQ+ events globally, Madrid’s Pride Parade in June is a colorful, spirited celebration promoting diversity, equality, and inclusivity. The entire city turns into a carnival of joy, with concerts, parties, and the iconic parade.
3. La Paloma Festival: Celebrated in August, this traditional Madrid festival brings the neighborhoods alive with street parties, music, and dance. It’s a fantastic opportunity to experience local traditions and folklore.
Seasonal Delights: Special Happenings
1. Christmas Markets and Festivities: December in Madrid brings delightful Christmas markets, enchanting light displays, and a festive atmosphere. The main squares and streets come alive with holiday cheer, providing a perfect setting for traditional shopping and seasonal merriment.
2. New Year’s Eve Celebrations: Puerta del Sol, the city’s central square, becomes the focal point for ringing in the New Year. Locals and visitors gather to watch the iconic clock countdown and enjoy the vibrant street celebrations, complete with the traditional eating of twelve grapes at midnight.
As you probably understand by now, Madrid has a lot to offer, and you have no reason to feel bored while visiting the city.